Friday, April 9, 2010

When the Cat's Away...


Mr. Southern is out of town for work. While this used to happen far more often, his trips have decreased (while mine, on the other hand, have definitely picked up!). While of course I miss him, it is admittedly nice to have a moment of solitaire (if you can call hanging out out with four dogs solitaire).

Of course, me in the house unchaperoned with several projects on the agenda is asking for trouble. You see, Mr. Southern is an Engineer. Born into a family of engineers. This means that he does not "measure twice, cut once." This means that he measures three times, walks away from a project in case the measurements change, comes back, measures three or four more times, studies intently, and then cuts. I, on the other hand, am more of an instant-gratification kind of girl, preferring to measure once, and then cut about 50 times to get it right. This applies to just about everything- determining where to plant something, where to hang a picture, hang curtain rods, paint, etc. Clearly his way is better, but it seems to take much longer.

Without Mr. Southern's precision, I was free to hang my recent purchases from One Kings Lane. I managed to score two of the Anemone botanical prints a few weeks ago after debating with myself whether I needed them or not. I was looking for two square pieces of art and these were a veritable bargain! And it had been a while since I purchased from the gals at OKL.

I actually cut out squares from wrapping paper and hung them on the wall so I could determine exactly (read: pretty much) where I wanted them. I am sort-of breaking the art rules, I guess, as neither is really at eye level. Hmm. Here they look a little close together.


Unfortunately, I stink at cutting in a straight line so I couldn't show you the white squares on the wall. But here they are hung.

Hopefully, this gives you some perspective of the scale. I think it looks OK, what do you think? I could probably add a little more space (there is an inch between the two now) but given that this corner typically houses a dog bed, I didn't want to hang the bottom frame too low.

At least Mr. Southern will be home tonight to fix anything amiss. On the bright side, I only ended up with three nail holes for two pictures- that is pretty good!

And, please pardon my sappiness, but another example of my "opportunities" is my inability to make coffee properly any more, since Mr. Southern kindly makes it for me every morning. In my last attempt, I didn't put the filter in properly and we had coffee all over the counter.

So this is what I found when I awoke this morning.


Awww... isn't he sweet! (and for the record, while I am taking a vacation day today, I was up before 8:42AM, I just didn't photograph it right away!!)

Have a fun weekend!

-Emmie