Monday, November 2, 2009

A Happy Color- Red!

It's not just that it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, but I'm seeing a lot of red around....

Red as an accent color to a neutral palette (but still not the black/white/red of the 80s)

Red as a dominant theme...

interior-design-trends
Met Home- Living with Red, I on Design Blog

OK, I realize there is a special effect going on with the drapes, but that is too much red for me.

Red is thought to symbolize love, passion, and energy.

interior-design-trends-red
Met Home- Living with Red, I on Design Blog

Too much red can mean anger (not the case in this room! I love the use of red and pink as bright accent colors- but the room still feels calming).

interior-design-ideas-MH0909-lohnes-10.jpg
Designer: Gokhan Avcioglu

Red is also used to symbolize luck and happiness. Love the use of a just a few red accents- the tea kettle, rug- and of course, the Viking range knobs.


Red also brings about the feeling of warmth. In this room, the red in chairs and on the valence keeps the room from feeling too cold.


And did we mention the color of romance? The bouquet is very romantic in this Regency-style dining room.



Red also can mean power (remember the red power tie?).

Deep Warmth

Balancing Act
Pieter Estersohn, Jennifer Jones Bonds Southern Accents

But to me, accents of red are just happy.
Red and White
Southern Accents- Rebecca Sowell Hawkins


Love the depth achieved here..

And the energy here...


I've learned that my natural frenetic pace means I can't have too much red in the house- I need more calming colors. But a dash is just perfect. (is anyone else surprised that the next room is Phoebe Howard?)

Red
Phoebe Howard- Southern Accents

Have an energizing Monday!

-Emmie